Easy to whip up… HA! Pun intended. This Valentine’s dessert will get the whole family drooling, while providing them with excellent benefits like fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Shhhh, they’ll never know it’s good for them.
I made a coconut flour crust (vegetarian and gluten-free), instead of the coconut crust from Yummy Mummy. Stick with hers, if you want vegan. Enjoy!
Coconut Flour Crust (Gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup melted Earth Balance or another trans-fat-free non-butter spread
- 2 eggs (beaten with a fork)
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- Preheat the oven to 385° F.
- Using a fork, beat together butter, eggs, honey, syrup and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the coconut flour and stir until combined and holds together. (It will be wet and have almost a gritty texture.)
- Gather the dough and pat into a 9″ greased pie pan.
- Prick the dough several times with a fork.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned and fully set.
- Let cool.
Note: This pie crust is spongier than a flaky wheat flour crust, but has a good flavor.
For the Chocolate Mousse:
I used 3 cans of coconut milk, chilled overnight with liquid discarded, and only the 1/4 cup of cocoa powder. Toss that with 1/4 cup maple syrup and 1 tsp of vanilla extract into the Vitamix. Turn on slow moving to medium/medium-high and use the tamper to smash it all down (working swiftly) until it’s completely mixed. Scoop out with a spatula into the pie crust. Top with raspberries and drizzle some hazelnuts over the top for some added good fats and protein.
Enjoy immediately or refrigerate.
Eat within 3-4 days.
- VEGAN – Some studies, like the China Experiment, show that limiting meat products helps to stifle tumor growth.
- NO REFINED SUGAR – Maple syrup has a lower GI than white sugar and contains vitamins, minerals, and fiber. It also contains zinc and manganese for heart health and an immune system boost.
- REDUCE INFLAMMATION – Maple syrup contains polyphenols, antioxidants that are shown to reduce inflammation in the body. Raspberries have also been shown to have an anti-inflammatory response in the body.
- MAGNESIUM – Coconut milk and maple syrup are sources of magnesium. This mineral has many other health benefits, including aiding with calcium absorption and bone health.
- CALCIUM, POTASSIUM, and IRON – Canned coconut milk is high in iron and offers some calcium, along with additional from the raspberries. You’ll get a potassium boost from the berries.
- FIBER and CAROTINOIDS – Raspberries provide each of these benefits. The carotinoids, lutein and zeaxanthin, bless the eyes to help prevent macular degeneration.